The truth is that our lifestyle choices really are the key to healthy aging. What we put in our bodies impacts how we look and what we see every day in the mirror. But the way we look is not the only indicator of healthy aging; how we feel is even more important.
Here are 4 important indicators of how we are. How do you score?
- How do you feel when you wake up? Are you ready to bounce out of bed and face the day?
- How does your body feel? Do aches and pains stop you from doing the things you love?
- How do you sleep?
- How do you feel emotionally?
The GOOD NEWS: even if you rate yourself poorly in all of these areas you CAN improve your scores.
Think about the self- care we can choose each and every day. These include:
- Proper hydration – my motto is “water yourself” daily.
- Proper nutrition – even if you make small changes to eat things that you know are real. Decisions to replace some of your fruits and vegetables with organic, and to avoid products with ingredients you don’t understand…you will be making a huge impact on your daily health. Little changes go a very long way.
- Our bodies need flexibility as we age. This is one of the most overlooked and forgotten parts of movement. The resources and research supporting how essential this is are abundant.
- Anaerobic and aerobic exercise. It’s every bit as important to think about how we are building muscle as how we are building our endurance. Muscle equals youth and vitality.
- Supportive therapies. Things like massage, aromatherapy, yoga, prayer and meditation are proven to be practices that the most youthful elderly people engage in. Our spirit and soul can remain young well into old age.
I am grateful to provide supportive therapies and tools to the wellness community. When I think about antiaging I immediately think frankincense, geranium, sandalwood, rose and lavender…all essential oils that can be blended and diffused to support our anti- aging routines. And for me Immortelle will always be part of my daily routine. So whether you are trying essential oils for their aromatherapy benefits or for your skin care routine – both provide fundamental support to your anti-aging routine.
September is all about Healthy Aging and National Yoga Awareness. These are two of my favorite wellness topics. Please feel free to share what you are doing in September to stay young and vital – no matter what your age.
Grow. Shine Thrive.